“The open-source software development provides access to the latest technology services and supports to every business and developer associated with it.”
The technology is being used extensively in the global landscape because it has become the prerequisite tool to survive for any business. So, it is essential to make the technology available for almost every business and professional.
There should be a way to share ideas, technologies, services, solutions, and supports. And that is where the open-source mobile app development frameworks came into the picture.
Open-source is one type of license agreement between communities. And in this community, you have.
- A program code available for everyone.
- Everyone can reuse a code to create an app for their requirements.
- And they have access to technical support from experts available in the community.
What Exactly is an Open-Source Mobile App Development Tool?
The open-source applications are free to develop, and the code is openly available to the community connected with that tool. So, anyone from the community can use that code for free to build an app for their purpose by modifying or rewriting it.
The application that you have built will be used by only you for reselling purposes. But others can use the same code to develop the same or better application. But the true significance lies here only, as you don’t have to juggle too much around to find the right framework for your app.
Among many relevant software development solutions providing countries, India is a prime destination. App Development in India is an excellent means of outsourcing for many businesses around the world.
So, without much ado, let’s look at some of the best open-source mobile app development frameworks and tools.
- React Native:
Features of the React Native:
- Multiple platforms, but one code.
- Faster development, deployment, and download.
- Much third-party plug-ins compatibility.
- Flexible and transferable to other frameworks.
- Accessible to expert community support.
The Microsoft owned open-source framework for cross-platform mobile app development. The native apps are built with the implementation of a common language interface (CLI) and Dot NET. The Xamarin creates the codebase with the language c#. It is a Cloud-based service and allows you to test on any number of devices.
Features of the Xamarin:
- You can create an ecosystem by integrating modern backend devices, APIs, components, and more.
- You can build apps for Android, iOS, tvOS, macOS, watchOS, and Windows.
- You have access to native APIs and 2D graphics from shared code.
- An active community base for the technical support.
- You can use the same code, tools, language to build apps for different devices, servers or clouds.
The Flutter is an open-source framework or SDK owned by Google. It helps developers to build impressive apps for multiple platforms using the DART programming language. You can create apps for Android, iOS, Windows, Web, and Google Fuchsia.
Features of Flutter:
- Shared code and shared UI across platforms for faster development.
- It has widgets that make high performance and interactive app development process faster.
- A uniform native UX is making an app perform with great capacity.
- Strong and constant community support.
- Google Ads, Xiyanyu by Alibaba, and Reflectly are the top Flutter based apps.
Features of Ionic:
- With a single code, develop apps for many app stores.
- The Ionic CLI lets you build, test and deploy the apps, and has the Live reloading feature.
- The mobile-specific UI components, tools, and gestures to build interactive and high performing apps.
- The availability of a library of 120 native plug-ins for the camera, geolocation, Bluetooth, network, and more.
- The community of millions of developers across the globe.
- Superb integrations of various applications to achieve greater functionalities with your app.
- The Mclaren automotive, Pacifica, Marketwatch, Diesel, and more are examples of famous Ionic based apps.
Features of PhoneGap:
- Rapid development and cross-platform compatibility with the single code.
- With access to all the native APIs, it performs all the native functionalities.
- A strong backend system and support of a large community.
- Highly improved UI with all the UI libraries present in it.
- Wikipedia, Tripcase, Buildr are some of the popular apps with the PhoneGap framework.
Features of BuildFire:
- Ease to use, no-code development. Just drag and drop method for your app development with loads of features and functionalities.
- Customized app development also.
- Game ID, NMREC, Stretch effect, Praxair are some of the popular BuildFire apps.
- Framework 7:
Features of Framework 7:
- Stunning UI and widgets like popup, dialogue, list views, tabs, form elements, preloader, etc.
- Easy to use and customize feature. With the swipe-back feature, you can move through pages smoothly.
- It does not depend upon third-party libraries, so it is lightweight and gives better performance.
- Highly active community support as well.
- Wappler, Kidoverse, HICAPPS are very famous examples.
- Mobile Angular UI:
It is a simple mobile UI framework; with that, you can build HTML5 apps using Bootstrap and Angular JS. It uses powerful libraries of fastclick.js and overthrow.js to create a great mobile app experience.
Features of Mobile Angular UI:
- It is an open-source, free UI framework.
- Provides these essential components – switches, overlays, sidebars, scrollable areas, absolute positioned top and bottom navbars.
- You can develop highly responsive interfaces with a small CSS file.
- Time-saving type-script, a complete ecosystem, and flexible structure.
- Hotelier news, Gunks, Guess it is some of the popular Mobile Angular UI based apps.
- JQuery Mobile:
Features of JQuery Mobile:
- The theme framework allows the custom creation of themes.
- Same codebase across platforms.
- Compatible with all major platforms like Android, iOS, Windows, Blackberry, WebOS, etc.
- Touch-optimized and platform-agnostic UI widgets.
- Corona SDK:
It is a famous cross-platform app development framework. It has a 2D engine to build apps and games for major platforms like Android, iOS, Kindle, Apple TV, Android TV, Mac OS, and Windows. And it also supports mobiles, tablets, iPods, Amazon fire, desktops, etc.
Features of Corona SDK:
- Multiple plug-ins.
- Strong API support for native libraries.
- Community support of 500000 developers.
- Lua based open source, which is light and very fast.
- Warcraft, AngryBirds, Civilization, City Gunmen are popular apps with the Corona SDK.
Apart from above mentioned open-source app development tools and frameworks, there are some other frameworks also. Such as,
- Native script
- Sencha EXT JS
After detailed considerations regarding platforms, operating systems, time constraints, budget and target audience, and business requirements, you can choose an appropriate open-source app development framework for your software building process.
As you will move ahead with adopting the latest technologies for your benefit, innovative app development ideas will pop-up in the near future. Future technologies like AI, Blockchain, IoT, Wearables, etc., are being used to develop hybrid apps. And the above-mentioned tools and frameworks will provide a great platform to build such kind of futuristic technology.
No matter how advanced and futuristic the technology becomes, the open-source and free frameworks should be adopted extensively to leverage it. It is in the best interest of businesses, professionals, and the entire human race.